Saturday, May 11, 2013

Bacon Wrapped Cheese Stuffed Dates

No, you do not need to adjust your eyes. Yes, that does say Bacon Wrapped Cheese Stuffed Dates. It's okay, you can take a moment to let it sink in.


My sister and her boyfriend had a get together to celebrate the anniversary of the adoption of their dog, Lucas. I decided that I would bring an appetizer to the party because, well, why not? Then I thought, why not make that appetizer have two of the most delicious savory elements: cheese and bacon.


Because I found the recipe on WholeFoods.com, I went there to get the ingredients. What I did not know, was there were two different types of dates, one they sell pitted and the other they don't. The guy who worked there was very helpful, but he kept trying to get me to try the coconut crusted dates, which I did not want or need. 



Ingredients: 

– 24 Dried Dates, preferably Medjool Dates. 
– Goat Cheese, or cheese of choice. 
       The Whole Foods version calls for 2 ounces of Manchego cut into 1/2 inch cubes. 
– 12 strips of medium thickness bacon, cut in half crosswise. Hickory smoked bacon works well.
– Toothpicks 


Method:

– Preheat broiler 
– Make a slit in the side of each date and remove the pit.
     If you purchased pitted dates, skip this step
– Place a piece of cheese in the cavity of each date. 
– Wrap date in half slice of bacon. 
– Spear with a toothpick to hold together.
– Arrange dates on a baking sheet. And broil for 4 to 6 minutes
– Turn the dates over and broil for another 4 minutes until 
bacon is crisp and cooked through. Serve immediately.
These savory morsels of deliciousness went pretty quickly, to say the least, at the party. especially because, you can't just have one. Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment