Sunday, February 12, 2012

Savory is just as good as sweet!

Hello, hello. My name is Alex and I am a potato addict; potatoes, in all forms, are the perfect food. My major problem with potatoes, they are a heavy food, and are not accommodating to healthy eating.. I am not potato bashing by any means here, just saying. So as a way to avoid my potato addiction sometimes I make cauliflower mashed. Last night, I made cauliflower latkas.

Latkas are probably one of my favorite forms of potato, but between the frying, the sour cream, and applesauce, and potato, my love handles are not fans. Therefore, cauliflower latkas with some sriracha is amazing.

What you need:
1 head cauliflower; roughly chopped and steamed
2 to 3 cloves of garlic; minced
1 cup whole wheat unbleached flour
2 eggs
1/2 cup  Pecorino Romano
1/4 finely chopped parsley
1/2 tsp rosemary
1/4 cup hot water (I used the water from steaming the cauliflower)
pinch of salt and pepper (or to taste)
olive oil

After cauliflower is steamed, in a large bowl, combine cauliflower, garlic, flour, cheese, parsley, rosemary, salt, pepper, and eggs. Mix well then add water. On medium heat, add 1 tbsp of olive oil into pan or skillet to coat the bottom. Use either 1/4 cup or an ice cream scooper, to measure latkas and cook on each side until golden brown!

My latkas were pretty big, so I only got about 10 out of the recipe, so size is up to you. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Is the Pecorino Romano the cheese? (Can you tell I don't cook often? lol)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the cheese. And it's ok, u wasn't either until more recent! Good luck in your cooking endeavors!

    ReplyDelete