Tuesday, May 10, 2011

it's been a few days! It's all about family and books!

My mom has this anecdote she loves to tell about my sister and me. When we were really little, I did not talk; let me rephrase that, I did not have to talk, Jessica would for me. "Mom," she would say, "Alex wants a cookie." Mom would look at me, and ask if I wanted a cookie, and I would look at Jessica, and she would reply,"she said she wants a cookie." Baffled, my mom would say that I hadn't said anything, and ask me again if I wanted a cookie; I would bob my head up and down, Jessica would say, "told ya."
Interestingly enough, 20- some years later, and I still do not really have to talk. In going out to dinner with my sister this realization came upon me, I tried to tell the waitress the beer that I wanted, and when she didn't hear me, Jessica stepped in a little louder than me, and told her what I wanted as well as the appetizer we were splitting. I guess some things will never change with us.

On to things literary: I finished Futureproof. Originally, I was worried about the slightly melodramatic beginning, righting it off as another angsty teenage tale, but in a way I was wrong; it turned into the tale of an angsty drug addict. While there were moments that were frighteningly cliched,  there were sections, paragraphs or, at times, entire chapters, that were so well written and brilliantly original that it made up for the cliched moments. In the end, where I started the book thinking I would be rolling my eyes and putting the book to lay on my shelf a quarter of the way through, I found myself (not the right word, but it will have to do) happy that I stuck it out to read it.

So it was on to book 44: The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien. It seems almost blasphemous to say anything negative about Tolkien considering his status in the literary cannon, and considering I can not think of anything I don't like thus far, it also seems impossible; then again, I am only on chapter three. Bilbo Baggins makes me giggle; I feel like his kindred spirit in his love for cakes and pies and tea time.

In other book news, I found a recipe book "Wheat, dairy, and gluten free, Over 70 delicious ideas." As soon as I start cooking from here, I will let you know just how amazing it is; the pictures of the food will make anyone, even those against the gluten-free movement (yes, I do know some people against it) salivate! I have also got to be the only person who goes to Free Comic Book day, and actually pays for a comic book; well it's more a graphic novel, but I really do not care, I am super excited about that purchase! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment